Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Introducing Brigid Nulty

Brigid Nulty is the Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning and Assessment at Shoreline Community College

What do you like most about your job?
 
It’s early days, and not only am I new to this role but the role is new to the campus. I’m excited for the work, and faculty really seem excited to have me here. I have often said that I care deeply about student learning, and express that by caring about and investing in teacher learning – I want to help teachers help students. It’s a treat to finally have that be my full-time professional work.

 



What are three career lessons you’ve learned thus far?

1)    Meet people where they are, and capitalize on what they care about
2)    Admit and accept imperfections and constraints, but don’t be defined or hobbled by them
3)    Strive for excellence, but don’t let the pursuit get in the way of actually getting something done
4)    (Bonus) Assume Best Intent in others

What are your hobbies and interests outside of work?
 
I am a dog-person. I just joined a board for a community center. I volunteer with a couple of organizations. I’m a career recreational soccer player (30+ years of being a hack). I spend a lot of time with other people’s kiddos.

Are you messy or organized?
 
I try to be organized, but entropy often wins the day.

Do you have a favorite newspaper, blog?
 
So many! Some blogs relevant to this group: Prof Hacker, MindShift, Faculty Focus, Agile Learning (Derek Bruff), Computing Education (Mark Guzdial). I also skim the Chronicle when I can, and Change Magazine, as well as Inside Higher Ed.

If you could witness any historical event, what would you want to see?

 
Maybe to have been in the front row of Barack Obama’s (first) inauguration.

What’s the one thing you can’t live without?

 
My dog!

Best childhood memory?
 
Growing up in an incredibly diverse hometown with a famous folk festival and Fourth of July parade.

If your house was burning down, what’s the one non-living thing you would save?

Ack, this question causes me anxiety!

Top 3 life highlights? (I have two)
 
The good fortune to have had many trips abroad

Having a community of loving friends and family who inspire me




No comments:

Post a Comment